The Edinburgh Castle is one of the oldest heritage sites in Scotland dating back 1100 years
back. It is also thought to be the most attacked place in the world. The castle sits on castle rock
and therefore dominates the skyline of Edinburgh. Once a jacobite force tried to capture the
castle but the ladder they brought was too short to scale to the castle. The castle has been in
existence since the 12th century.
Castle rock where the castle sits is the remains of a volcanic pipe with a Crag and tail formation.
The castle was very significant during the old days and holding it meant maintaining the
kingdom. The castle has been taken many times over the centuries. For instance in 1314 it was
retaken from the hands of the English in a night raid.
The castle has also been home to ancient kings and Queens. Queen Margaret died in the castle
in 1309. Many other kings and Queens have been born and resided in the castle over the years.
After residence in the castle by the royals seized it became an army base in the 1600s. Parts of
the castle still remain a military base to date. The Edinburgh castle is now a world famous world
attraction. It attracts over two million visitors every year.
The great hall – the great hall stands in the heart of the castle. It was completed in 1511 for
James IV. The hall has an amazing wooden roof and the walls are full or armour and weapons
including swords, shields and axes.
The stone of destiny – the stone of destiny was seen as a sacred object. It was used in
coronation ceremonies of the monarchs of England and United Kingdom. The stone is believed
to have been used as a pillow by patriarch Jacob. In 1296 Edward I had the stone built into his
throne which is when they started using it for coronations.
The crown jewels – the crown jewels are displayed in the crown room of the castle. The jewels
are also called the honors of Scotland and they are surrounded by a special exhibit. The jewels
are a sceptre, the royal crown and a silver wand. The sceptre was given to James IV by Pope
Alexander VI in 1494. The crown was first used in a coronation ceremony in 1540 for the
ceremony of Mary of Guise wife of James V.
St. Margaret's chapel – the chapel is where the royals knelt to pray in private but it has also
been used as a gunpowder store over the years. The chapel was built around the year 1130
and dedicated for Queen Margaret. The Queen was canonized in 1250 by pope Innocent IV due
to her many acts of charity.
Half-moon battery – visitors can stand at the half moon battery and enjoy the view of the city. It
is located on the eastern side of the castle and was built on the ruins of the mediaeval David & 39;s
tower. The half-moon battery allowed cannons to fire on oncoming attackers.
One o'clock gun – the tradition to fire the gun at one o'clock was started back in 1861 to allow
ships in the neighborhood waters to set their maritime clocks. The gun is fired to date every day
at one o'clock except Sundays. Traditionally a 64 pounder gun was used by since 2001 a
105mm field gun is used.